Careers Beyond the Ordinary
How to turn the skills you have, into the career and lifestyle you want
Kaiser Kuo: How to Get into Careers in China, Podcasting, and Journalism (as well as Music and Tech)
- There are two points that are likely to be true for almost all our careers, no matter what we decide to do:
- We will change career path, role, and focus numerous times: with rapidly changing tech and politics, it’s difficult to predict what we’ll be doing in 10, 20, or 40 years with any real accuracy.
- We will work directly with, or be strongly impacted indirectly by, China: whether China and Western countries ‘decouple’ their economies, as many are suggesting, or move to collaborate on more friendly terms, there can now be no doubt about the impact and importance that China will hold in the 21st Century, and even less doubt that the country will have a significant impact on all of our careers.
We will directly address both these points and explore how we can all best prepare ourselves for career changes, working abroad, and engaging with China more specifically, by welcoming Kaiser Kuo, Sinica Podcast Host and Co-founder, onto our webinar on 19 August.
Kaiser’s career has taken him from being one of the godfathers of Chinese rock, to being a tech entrepreneur and journalist, to digital strategist for Ogilvy China, to Director of International Communications at Baidu, China’s leading search engine, and, most recently, to co-founding and hosting the Sinica Podcast, the leading weekly current affairs podcast on China.
With our hosts, Isla Lamparelli (University of Exeter) and Anna Spenner Hernandez (University of Bristol), Kaiser will discuss:
- How he discovered his passions and made his work more than just a job
- How he built up the necessary skills and network to achieve his goals
- Kaiser’s experiences in: the music industry, tech and journalism, the corporate world, and podcasting
- How he made the switch across diverse career areas, and what skills and experience he’s found to be most important
- How he launched the most popular China current affairs podcast
- His tips on how to prepare for a career working with or in China
- Stories of friends and acquaintances that have developed careers in China
6-7pm (UK BST) Friday 19 August 2020.
The date for the webinar has now passed, but you can find the webinar on our Youtube here.
This event has now finished.